– Cardinals GM, John Mozeliak, said that they’re focused on getting pitching, although he didn’t specify if they were focused on bullpen or rotation help (via Matthew Leach of MLB.com). “We’re still exploring both [starters and relievers],” he said. “But when it comes down to it, I think the reliever market’s got more opportunities.”
– According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports, the Philadelphia Phillies have been the most aggressive team on Hunter Pence. Rosenthal adds that the Red Sox have inquired although they are having a tough time finding a match with the Astros. The Braves are not currently involved.
– Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated tweets that there are seven teams interested in Ubaldo Jimenez. The Cincinnati Reds, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers, Cleveland Indians and Toronto Blue Jays.
– The Washington Nationals are still looking for a center fielder, and Bill Ladson of MLB.com says the team has shown interest in Peter Bourjos. Ladson adds that the Nationals have also been scouting Denard Span, Colby Rasmus, Justin Upton and Michael Bourn.
– Rival executives believe that the Rockies want to trade for Ubaldo Jimenez reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. He says that the Yankees, Red Sox and Reds have been calling. The Blue Jays have been kicking the tires on Jimenez too. Sherman points out that because Jimenez is under team control through 2013 non-contenders could be interested as well.
– A scout who has seen Jason Vargas believes the Mariners won’t receive a big return for him (via Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports).
– The Yankees are looking for left-handed relievers with Wil Ohman and Randy Choate as possible targets. (New York Post via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch)
– The Mariners are among many teams that have inquired about Colby Rasmus. (Jon Paul Morosi, FOX Sports)
– The Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox and other teams are among those that are interested in Erik Bedard. (Jon Heyman, Sports Illustrated)
– Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports tweets that he’s hearing mixed opinions on whether the Nationals will move right handed pitcher Jason Marquis.
– The Detroit Tigers have apparently pushed for Hiroki Kurada, but one source close to Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated doubts Kuroda would move from Los Angeles to Detroit.
– According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports, there are five teams in play for Rays outfielder B.J. Upton.
– Outfielder Colby Rasmus has become a goal for the Chicago White Sox according to Joes Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (via Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated). Heyman points out that the Cardinals “may not be there.”
– According to a rival evaluator, the Minnesota Twins are planning to re-sign Michael Cuddyer, and he is convinced the Twins won’t trade him (via Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports).
– Danny Knobler of CBSSports tweets that the Los Angeles Angels are also interested in Micheal Cuddyer.
– The Philadelphia Phillies (via Matt Gelb and Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Enquirer) and Boston Red Sox (via Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated) are not afraid to add payroll even though that will push them above baseball’s luxury-tax threshold of $178 million.
– The Milwaukee Brewers have been kicking the tires on Jamey Carroll and Clint Barmes according to Tom Haudricourt of the Journal-Sentinel.
– According to Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated, the San Francisco Giants like Michael Cuddyer, and that could hurt Beltran’s value.
– The Minnesota Twins are apparently looking to deal left handed pitcher Jose Mijares according to Buster Olney of ESPN.
– The Texas Rangers have Heath Bell as their number one target with Carlos Beltran as their number two. Jim Bowden of ESPN says that the reigning AL Champions have enough prospects in their inventory and the “will” to trade for both players.
– The Boston Red Sox are unwilling to put Will Middlebrooks in any trade because they see him as a successor to Kevin Youkilis. (Jim Bowden, ESPN)